2. Fall Conferences: I have 18 families signed up for a fall conference time. I will compile this list as well as remaining available time slots and email out sometime this week.
3. Letters: At curriculum night, I asked parents to write a letter to their child that our students will open at the END of the year :) Last year kids were very touched and really enjoyed these letters--and also driven crazy by having to wait all year! I will collect letters and hold on to them in the classroom. I also have envelopes and stationary available, however, you are welcome to create your letter at home and send it in your kid's orange folder!
4. Reading: I have finished beginning of year reading assessments and set goals and identified strengths for each of our readers. We will now begin diving deeper in to our reading content this year as we finish up our introductory "Building a Reading Life" unit. Students will be working in small skill building groups, as well, to work on identified goals. I will send reading reports home (my goal is by next week) so that you will have this reading information available to you!
5. Math: We are neck deep our first math unit of the year! Our Common Core Math Standards studied thus far have been:
1. Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
2. Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
3. Solve real world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons, including finding the perimeter given the side lengths, finding an unknown side length, and exhibiting rectangles with the same perimeter and different areas or with the same area and different perimeters.